Culture can be defined as a way of or life and practices of a group of people that been handed down through many generations. Like any other place, organizations also have their own culture, which defines how thing are done in a particular organization. This thing can include handling clients, communication within the organization and the management chain and practices.
With changing business environment and development of better ways of doing business, there has been a need for many organizations to change their culture, so as to remain competitive and profitable.
There are different advantages to organization culture change, which include
- To remain competitive- organization might change its culture of doing business so as to remain competitive and make profit
- Adopt technology- with the growth of technology, organizations see the need to advance and adopt technology to as to enable better performance. This affects the organization culture as different lines in an organization might be replaced by technology
- Changing organization process for better- to continue doing business in a competitive business platform, organizations have to maintain constant changes to their processes.
There are challenges that come with organization culture change, which is also viewed as the disadvantages of culture change
- Loss of jobs- when organizations change how business is done, some individuals might have to be laid off so as to accommodate the new culture
- Resistance to change- in an organization there is always individuals fixed on doing business as usual and they pose a challenge to the organization’s intent to advance